Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Passport quotations

For those of you who don’t know, I travel frequently. Ok, honestly, I’m at home less often than I’m someplace else. Last year I set foot on six of the seven continents (curse you, Antarctica) and spend a good deal of time in some interesting and occasionally dangerous places. I met wonderful people of many religious convictions, as well as a good number of intolerant bigots. The difference between the two, I think, is the ability (or lack thereof) to set aside the articles of faith and see people for who they are; to interact with one another as fellow human beings rather than shameless heathens.


At any rate, the other day I had to send in my passport to have further pages added (it is now nearing book length). When I had it returned, I leafed through the crisp new pages, reading the quotes that graced the top of each page. One of them struck me as particularly apt and I’ll repeat it here for your consideration:


“Every generation has the obligation to free men’s minds for a look at new worlds…to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation” –Ellison S. Onizuka

Make sure you do your part.

No comments:

Post a Comment